Thursday, March 5, 2009

Called to Serve WHERE!?

I got my mission call....you should really just watch the video. I tell people but they don't believe me. So see for yourself!







Wondering why we're so surprised? I think that maybe, what they felt was that my future eternal companion was there.....in the EXACT SAME MISSION......
So, I abruptly called Bailey's parents whom didn't believe me and demanded a picture message. But I quickly hung up with them to call the Bishop. He wasn't home yet so I got his wife who was rather in shock as well wondering, "What are the odds!?" I got a hold of Bishop who sighed a very long sigh and didn't talk for quite a while. He said he had had a dream that this would happen and thought about putting that I couldn't go there on my papers but refrained bc I mean seriously.....WHAT ARE THE CHANCES? He finally said, "Well, we can't have that. We'll have to talk to Stake Pres and issue another call. I will call you when I am able to talk with President Mumford." So not long after Bishop called with a different tone than before..... "So, lets say you do serve in the Independence Missouri Mission and you run into Bailey. What do you do?" I think well gee idk! I haven't been put in that position before! "Um....All I can do! Shake his hand!" He continues,"Well, President Mumford says that it is too big of a coincidence to be a mistake. And they don't make mistakes. He thinks its great!" I couldn't believe it. We thought for sure we would have to change. Bishop than says, "If you think that you wouldn't be able to concentrate and it'd be to much of a challenge, then we can call for another one." I asked him what he thought and he said that the calls are not by mistake and they are from above.




What now? I am still in quite some shock and feeling kind of.....lost. I want to do whats right and make the right choice. I don't know what I can handle. I can always get another call. There are 339 missions out there, I could've gone anywhere, my odds of going to Independence Missouri were 1 in 339. Its a very big mission and my odds of seeing him are still slim. Bishop said that we would be sure to let the mission president know and they'd do all they could to keep us apart but couldn't guarantee that we wouldn't cross paths. There are so many pros and cons to be weighed. I will talk more with Bishop on Sunday and see what is next. But as for now, I'll be spending this next couple of days on my knees talking to the Higher Power......Pray for me.

12 comments:

Amber said...

i love you.
i'm praying for you.

Jessica J. said...

Ha Ha ha Ha ha... I LOVE IT... Super glad it didn't happen to me... but I think it is just fine! Seriously- the chances of you seeing him would be, well, maybe once in a mission conference if yours is anything like mine. If the Lord called you there, He knows you two can do it. When you are out there, you're not thinking about making out with someone, but if you do see him I wouldn't even shake his hand... too many feelings with physical contact! Just smile and say hello, knowing that you both understand :). Oh man..this is great. You will be fine so I hope they don't change your call. He knows what He's doing.

Jessica J. said...

Ok I just watched the video. Your reaction is priceless!... AWESOME!
I can totally tell you were going to flip out though.. relax.. everything will be ok. LOVES!

Brittany R. said...

lynette...
i love you! That is so crazy! I still am in shock! You will do amazing in that mission though. My cousin served in the visitors center too and loved it. I know that it will be hard because I cannot even IMAGINE seeing T.J. but you two are strong and the Lord does know what he is doing. I agree with Pres. Mumford and as we both know, he is a wonderful man called of God. Trust the Lord and run with it girlfriend! Congratulations!

brant and katie said...

absolutely amazing! It is so odd. I believe you are a very spiritual woman and have trust in the lord. I know you will make the right decision. The lord pushes us to do great things that we didn't know we could do. I love you so much and you are wonderful.

Unknown said...

Hey Nettie

Congrats I love your reaction I think all the blood drained out of your face. Well I guess the Lord works in mysterious ways. Maybe it is so you two can focus on your missions more because your not allowed to write someone in the same mission as you. I can't wait to here Baileys (sp?) reaction. Everyone I've told is like NO WAY!!! Love ya and you'll be AWESOME!!!! Sister Phillips. :) See ya next week.

Heather Walker said...

Congrats on the call! The Lord must have a really good reason why he wants you to go to Missouri--I don't believe for a second that it was a coincidence--it is definitely inspiration. Best wishes! You will be an amazing missionary! I'm proud of you!

This Idaho Girl said...

Wow. Saw the video on Amber's blog, had to come read about it. Truly amazing. How incredible for you and Bailey to experience the same mission. I know the Lord will send you peace about whatever decision you make. Good luck.

muumar said...

WHAT ARE THE CHANCES!!!!!! I too say there is a reason. You two have passed some big tests so far and you will be able to handle this one. It will make you stronger. You will have to concentrate moe, but it will make you an amazing missionary. You will be able to do this. Your personality draws people to you and the Visitors Center would be perfect for you. We all love you very much.

The Gold Gang said...

Like everyone else, we think - NO FREAKIN' WAY! But who are we to judge or question our Father in Heaven. Clearly he has a plan for you both. And as long as you & Baily (or any of us for that matter) do what you're supposed to do, you can have confidence that He will continue to guide and direct your lives - and missions - for the best. That is how He has always worked in mhy life, and I'm sure your experience has been the same. It is wonderful. The whole Sister Phillips thing just ROCKS! I'm so excited! Wny idea when your farewell will be? LOVE YOU!

Sariah said...

Hey Lynette... you probably don't remember me, but oh well. ;) I saw the post and video on Amber's blog and just had to comment over here.

First of all, it's just weird to me that you are going on a mission!!! Not weird in a bad way, of course. All of you Preston "kids" will always be that in my mind... kids. I still picture you as this cute little high school freshmen. You were one of my *favorite* Phi-Dels to work with in marching band. You always had a smile and did so great. Anyway....

CONGRATS on your mission call!! So exciting!! Both my mom and my dad served in Independence, and sure, it was in the 70's, but it is still a great area. My mom spent quite a bit of time in the Visitor's Center, too. Both of my parents still talk about their missions there, and I just know that you'll love it.

Yes, it seems like such a weird coincidence that you and your boyfriend will be in the same mission, but just think of how special that will be, too. I'm envious of the time and experiences that Ches had on his mission that I didn't get and didn't share. You guys will get to have so many experiences to SHARE (even if you aren't in the same areas ever) and that will make for some great stories for your future kids. :) You keep doing the right thing... you'll have a great mission and I know you'll be a great missionary!! Congratulations once again!!

The Ashby Fam said...

oh my heavens Nettie! Congrats! All I can say is 'Wow' and what are the chances! Congrats again and good luck!